You are probably thinking why I called it failure because the photo I showed looks perfectly fine!
Well, the story started like this:
Last year I paid my very first visit to The Nova Studio in Richmond California when they held their annuversary celebration. As usual they had gathered numerous fabulous door prizes from various supply stores to give out. I couldn't believe my luck (cuz I never win anything) but my name was drawn 3rd! I was so excited as every one of us already eyed the prize we hope to get if we get lucky, and I did! I quickly went up to the prize display tables and picked up my new won mold donated by Soap Equipment, here's a photos of the triple loaf mold:
Some soapers in the event claim that it really is no lining needed. Oh I like that! I meant to try this mold out sooner but never get the chance to last year. It then had been sitting in my basement for months until couple weeks ago. The loaf mold I use the most is the small 2 lb silicone mold that makes bar soap measuring 3.5"(wide)X2.5"(high)X1"(thick). This mold is very different from my usual size, the wide of each loaf cavity is 2", the height (or depth) of the mold is 3.25". In order to get about the same weight as my usual bar, I have to cut the soap each at 1.25" if I top off the mold. You know what? I really like this new size! I think this is better fitting with people who have small hands, usually that's the women.
Anyway, let's get to the soap part! Besides using the mold the very first time, I was also trying out a new recipe, one with lots of beef tallow. This will be my very first time using a significant amount of animal fat in my soap. In my mind I already had a name for this batch: Aphrodite. It's very feminine but more towards the perfume style of scenting, very upscale and a little classic. There's a lot of perfume rose, accompanied by lavender, violet, sweet tuberose, and chamomile, then anchored by warm wood and musk. I thought it would accelerate the trace since it's a heavy floral, but it is still manageable since I wasn't planning on doing any fancy swirling.
Then 2 days later, it literally got stuck in the mold and refuse to come out! I disassembled the nuts and bots and I just could not remove the HDPE boards away from the log of soap! I tried pliers, hammer, and knife... Oh don't forget my husband too, yes I tried using him. Finally the 3rd day I plied the panels out of the log and spent hours troweling the soap from the panels back to where it belongs... Look at the sides... yikes...
But the inside is not bad at all! I actually like it! And the scent is so Aphrodite!
Lesson learned, ALWAYS line your mold!