Tuesday, July 26, 2011

New Back to Nature Formula

Back in early May I started my road trip back to nature and developed a Cold Process soap formula just for that line.  One of the main oil used in Back to Nature line is Pistachio Nut oil.  I don't know if you have noticed, all material prices have gone up (maybe because of the gasoline price hike??).  It no longer pencils out to use Pistachio Nut oil.  Every since I've trying to find a good replacement formula to achieve the same goodness of the original recipe.  I think I found one.  This new and improved (at least I think so) repipe contains Flaxseed oil, or also called Linseed oil.  This is such a great oil, it's conditioning score is high up there and the level of omega-3 is comparable to fish oil, but it is such a soft oil, so soft it's INS value is negative!  In order to incorporate Flaxseed oil into the recipe I have to reformulate it to up the hardness scale.  Enough of talk, here is my new formulated Back to Nature line of soap, will only use essential oil or just naked.  One batch is done with 1/2 water and 1/2 coconut milk and scented with Lavender EO blend, the other one just plain naked.

5 comments:

  1. Really lovely !!! Wonderful colours in the Lavender one and I love the sound of the new oil.. is it readily available?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, still curing, I did just made it last week! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking lavender soap :) Have you soaped with linseed oil before? In soaps is supposedly prone to quick rancidity, depending on your sf level. I have no experience with linseed in soaps, although I work with it on a daily basis as a painter. I also like to put it in my smoothies for its health benefits

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ cocobong, the first batch of soap made with flaxseed oil was 2 months ago, no rancidity. The oil is so soft it's not in use for high %, and my sf level is usually 5% only. I did add ROE in all oil jags right after seal is broken just for good measure. Hopefully all my hard work planning works to keep DOS away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to add, the lather from this recipe is really creamy. Last Monday's 100% coconut milk disaster soaps are also made with the same formula. If you go back to my blog post http://soapandrestless.blogspot.com/2011/07/its-always-good-idea-to-have-plan-b.html
    You can see the lather in action!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis